Commercial pesto is loaded with sodium; more than 75 mg per serving, typically; sometimes much more. This is pesto (if you define pesto as something with oil, basil and garlic).
1 package goat cheese
1/4 cup water
1 bunch basil (break off stems)
1 T crushed garlic
1 T olive oil
[calories and sodium are for Montchevre brand Crumbled Goat Cheese--no, they didn't pay me although I wish they would… Just be careful to read the label and look for a cheese with sodium of 105 mg per ounce or less. If you've never looked at sodium on a label before, be prepared to be shocked.]
- Place goat cheese in food blender. Blend with 1/4 cup water.
- Add basil. Blend thoroughly.
- Add garlic. Blend thoroughly.
- Drizzle olive oil into blender while it is running.
- You may wish to add more water, depending on the consistency you like
CALORIES: 55 per tablespoon
SODIUM: 13 mg