A class learning French and trying to get to grips with gender wondered if the word "computer" should be masculine or feminine. Split into two groups, men and women, they were asked to say which they considered a computer to be, and to give four reasons for their decision.
The women decided that computers are masculine because:
- In order to gain their attention, you have to turn them on.
- They are full of data, but are still clueless.
- They are supposed to help you solve your problems, but most of the time they are the problem.
- As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited a little longer, you could have had a better one.
The men decided that computers are feminine because:
- No one but their creator understands their internal logic.
- The language they use to communicate with each other is totally incomprehensible.
- Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later retrieval.
- As soon as you commit to them, you spend half your disposable income on buying accessories for them.